We use bath towels everyday, and sometimes we don´t know what to consider when buying them. If you´re towel shopping, here is a list of things to consider:
One of the most important things you need to know when buying a towel is the material.
-Cotton: Most towels are made of cotton, but there are several types of cotton. Cotton towels vary in their softness depending the quality of the cotton (Egyptian cotton, Turkish Cotton, Pima Cotton…) Egyptian cotton is the softest type of cotton.
- Bamboo: Bamboo fabric is very soft, and often described as feeling like cashmere.
- Hemp: Hemp fabric is the stiffest one.
When buying a towel is there any way to tell if it will be absorbent? Some towels are more absorbent than other. Some of them repel water.
It is very important to check the label, for example, some “bamboo towels” are only 10% bamboo, or some “Egyptian cotton” towels are only 10% Egyptian cotton. Velour towels are the less absorbent towels. Tröken Towels are 100% bamboo, that´s why they are 4 times more absorbent than cotton towels. Hemp towels are super absorbent.
The use of chemicals while growing cotton irritates skin. Bamboo is antibacterial, so there´s no need of chemicals, fertilizers or pesticides. Even people with allergies to natural fibers such as wool can use bamboo products. Cotton requires a large amount of pesticides to maintain growth.
Cotton towels color fades easily than bamboo towels. The neutral color of Tröken Towels will perfectly match your bathroom.
5. Eco friendly
At Tröken, we love green homes and green living. Many towels are made with synthetic fibers. What kind of fabrics do we recommend for towels?
- Organic Cotton: Organic cotton is supposed to be grown without chemicals but it may be processed with chemicals, depending on the type of organic certification. Also it needs lots of water. It is less absorbent than bamboo or hemp. Biodegradable if properly disposed of.
- Bamboo: The fastest growing plant in the world, no chemicals, or pesticides and very little water. Biodegradable.
- Hemp: Grows quickly and does not need chemicals to grow. Biodegradable.
6. Resistant to wash
-Cotton: They get stiff after some washes.
-Bamboo: The softness and quality of the fabric itself stand up to multiple washes.
-Hemp: The most likely to get stiff.
7. Antibacterial Quality
The unique antibacterial quality of bamboo towels is due to a bio-agent called kun which is found naturally in the bamboo fiber. This kun makes bamboo a naturally antibacterial, antifungal and odor resistant fiber, through multiple washes. Cotton and hemp are not antibacterial. Hemp hangs onto odors more than bamboo or cotton.